Mon, May 16|
Road to Overland Expo West
Join OTG's overland veteran, Matthew, as he leads a small group through the California desert en route to Overland Expo West. Highlight's will include desert playas, Joshua Tree forests, a short cave hike, camping on a historic private property. This is a fun yearly event. Don't miss out!
Time & Location
May 16, 2022, 4:00 PM PDT – May 19, 2022, 4:00 PM PDT
Flagstaff, Flagstaff, AZ, USA
About the event
Road to Overland Expo
The Road 2 Expo tour is our overland adventure aligned with the yearly pilgrimage to Overland Expo West in Flagstaff, AZ . The route alternates each year. This year, we will explore highlights along the CA 395 and the Mojave Road as we make our way towards Expo West.
The tour is led by long-time map nerd, Land Cruiser afficianado, and Mangai Rollin owner, Matthew Mangus who has been exploring and doing commercial photo and video shoots throughout the West for 10+ years.
The OTG Tour Experience
OTG and Mangai Rollin strive to create an unforgettable experience. These are intimate, small group adventures. It is critical that each individual bring their best self to the group and expect to participate equally.
What's Included in your Adventure
Expert route planning, camping fees, cost of ingredients for two group meals, whiskey tasting, event t-shirt and professional content shot by Mangai Rollin content team.
Vehicle Requirements & Terrain
This trip is suitable for well-equipped overland rigs.AWD crossovers and Sprinter 4x4s with all terrain tires can join in but will need to be ready to be self-sufficient should they need to drop off the back of the convoy during longer stretches of corrugated gravel roads. A full sized spare is required. Expect a mix of pavement and dirt roads. The dirt roads tend to be non-technical, but expect corrugations and some secitons with deep whoops.
Cost: $1000 per person
Participant Criteria: All participants on adventures organized by OTG and Mangai Rollin must understand and agree to the following in order to reserve their spot and join the adventure.
1. Best Self: These are intimate, small group adventures. It is critical that each individual bring their best self to the group and expect to participate equally. No politics / religion: This is meant to be a vacation, an escape from reality. Leave your opinions at home. No one wants to hear them.
2. Sound Mind and Body: Each individual must be physically healthy and in a positive state of mind.
3. Mechanically Sound Vehicle: Each vehicle must be up to date on maintenance and be cleared for a 4k+ mile road trip from its mechanic. We will be driving some rough roads and do not want a vehicle with a known previous condition to be the weak link.
4. Appropriate Gear: tires, air compressor, off-road extraction gear and communications gear. If you do not already possess all of this gear, there will be group discussion posts with links provided on each topic. We have discounts available with some gear mfrs and will share them with the group when possible.
4a. Tires: AT tires with 50% or greater tread is considered the minimum.
4b. Deflation / inflation tools so that you can take care of your vehicle’s needs without relying on others. Onboard air is preferred but a high quality portable compressor is fine.
4c. Recovery points F&R, shovel, traction boards and a kinetic strap are the minimum extraction equipment. Winches are preferred.
4d. HAM radios. Hard mounted units preferred. Hi-powered handheld radios accepted as long as they have upgraded antennas.
5. Fees: $1,000 / participant
5a. These fees include: route planning, camping fees, cost of ingredients for a group meal, whiskey tasting, event t-shirt and professional content shot by Mangai Rollin content team.
5b. These fees exclude: fuel, trip insurance, food for personal breakfasts / lunch / dinners, ingredients for one group meals prepared by your vehicle (each rig is responsible for cooking for the group once).
5c. Submit 50% non-refundable deposit by 04.05; 50% balance by 05.01.
6. Adventure Shoot: On occasion, Mangai Rollin staff and contractors use these adventures as a working content shoot in order to shoot enthusiasts authentically using relevant products in the field. We also document the trip as a whole and put together edited photo albums / videos that will be shared in social media. We work very hard to capture content organically and not interrupt the flow of the experience. If you have any questions or concerns, please address them ahead of submitting your deposit. You will be asked to wet-sign a model release form.
7. Liability Waiver: You will be expected to act as an adult and be responsible for your own actions. You will wet-sign a waiver indemnifying Overland Trail Guides, Mangai Rollin and it’s employees and subcontractors from all liability should you get yourself into trouble, harm yourself or others.
8. Roster: Marking yourself as 'going' is only the first step. You must meet all the criteria above to be invited to join the roster. The group size is limited to eight vehicles. If you have read this far and are still interested in joining us, introduce yourself and let's chat.
Reserve a Spot!
Lost Coast Adventure April 22
Contact OTG to find out more.