Fri, Sep 23|
Owyhee Overland Adventure Sept 2022
Join OTG as we explore the rugged and vast canyonlands of the Owyhee in Eastern Oregon. The Owyhees have been dubbed Oregon's grand canyon. If you're looking to get away from it all, it's hard to be the remoteness of the Owyhee Canyonlands.
Time & Location
Sep 23, 2022, 8:00 AM PDT – Oct 02, 2022, 6:00 PM PDT
Owyhee Canyonlands, Burns, OR 97720, USA
About the event
The Owyhee Experience
Overview video of a recent trip into the Owyhee Canyonlands
The Owyhee Canyonlands is an expansive wilderness spanning 4 million acres across Eastern Oregon, Southern Idaho, and Northern Nevada. Those seeking a rugged and remote experience will love this trip. Your guide will take you deep into ION Country and visiting the lesser known locations in the Owyhees. We do this trip every few years in Fall to take advantage of the beautiful late Indian summer weather and to access terrain that is only accessible when the roads are dry and river levels are low enough for vehicle to cross.
This trip is for individuals who are looking for adventure. We will be up early there will be numerous long, slow days driving through rough terrain. This is not a trip for young children. This is rattlesnake country and we will be hours from help. Dogs need to be snake trained.
Overland Trail Guides is partnering with overlanding adventure veterans Mangai Rollin for our first ever Owyhee Canyonlands tour. The tour is led by long-time map nerd and Mangai Rollin owner, Matthew Mangus who has been exploring and doing commercial photo and video shoots throughout the West for 10+ years.
The OTG Experience
OTG and Mangai Rollin strive to create an unforgettable experience. These are intimate, small group adventures. It is critical that each individual bring their best self to the group and expect to participate equally.
What's Included in your Adventure
Expert route planning, camping fees, cost of ingredients for two group meals, whiskey tasting, event t-shirt and professional content shot by Mangai Rollin content team.
Vehicle Requirements & Terrain
This trip is for capable 4x4s with good AT tires and clearance. Expect pin-striping. We do not intend to do any 'rock crawling' but we will ford numerous rivers and may occasionaly use locking differentials to climb up river banks.
Cost: $1000 per person
Participant Criteria: All participants on adventures organized by mangai.rollin must understand and agree to the following in order to reserve their spot and join the adventure.
1. Best Self: These are intimate, small group adventures. It is critical that each individual bring their best self to the group and expect to participate equally. No politics / religion: This is meant to be a vacation, an escape from reality. Leave your opinions at home. No one wants to hear them.
2. Sound Mind and Body: Each individual must be physically healthy and in a positive state of mind.
3. Mechanically Sound Vehicle: Each vehicle must be up to date on maintenance and be cleared for a 4k+ mile road trip from its mechanic. We will be driving some rough roads and do not want a vehicle with a known previous condition to be the weak link.
4. Appropriate Gear: tires, air compressor, off-road extraction gear and communications gear. If you do not already possess all of this gear, there will be group discussion posts with links provided on each topic. We have discounts available with some gear mfrs and will share them with the group when possible.
4a. Tires: AT tires with 50% or greater tread is considered the minimum.
4b. Deflation / inflation tools so that you can take care of your vehicle’s needs without relying on others. Onboard air is preferred but a high quality portable compressor is fine.
4c. Recovery points F&R, shovel, traction boards and a kinetic strap are the minimum extraction equipment. Winches are preferred.
4d. HAM radios. Hard mounted units preferred. Hi-powered handheld radios accepted as long as they have upgraded antennas. If you do not have your own HAM gear, you can elect to purchase new gear - my Comms gear list is here: https://kit.co/mangai/communications-gear - OR you can rent a handheld unit and external antenna from me.
5. Fees: $1,000 PP
5a. These fees include: route planning, camping fees, two group restaurant meals, cost of ingredients for two group meals, whiskey tasting, event t-shirt and professional content shot by Mangai Rollin content team.
5b. These fees exclude: fuel, trip / evac insurance, food for personal breakfasts / lunch / dinners, ingredients for a group meal prepared by your vehicle (each rig is responsible for cooking for the group once).
5c. Submit 50% non-refundable deposit as soon as you have been invited to join the trip by the trip leader; Submit 50% balance by 09.15.
6. Food: We cook together and eat together. We find that these bonding experiences rapidly builds friendships and makes these adventures much more enjoyable. Each vehicle will cook a meal for the rest of the group.
6a. Plan ahead. Please consider your best meal that you would like to share with the group. We use a group spreadsheet with schedule and menu. This will include information on where we stop for provisions so will be able to plan ahead.
6b. Dietary needs: If you have any dietary needs, please let us know ahead of time so that the group is aware and can accomodate you within reason.
6c.Whiskey tasting: The curated whiskey tasting has become a tradition on the Fall Adventure. A portion of your fees goes towards purchasing the whiskey. If you are not a drinker, please let us know ahead of time and we will plan accordingly.
7. Adventure Shoot: On occasion, Mangai Rollin staff and contractors use these adventures as a working content shoot in order to shoot enthusiasts authentically using relevant products in the field. We also document the trip as a whole and put together edited photo albums / videos that will be shared in social media. We work very hard to capture content organically and not interrupt the flow of the experience. If you have any questions or concerns, please address them ahead of submitting your deposit. You will be asked to wet-sign a model release form.
8. Liability Waiver: You will be expected to act as an adult and be responsible for your own actions. You will wet-sign a waiver indemnifying Overland Trail Guides, Mangai Rollin and it’s employees and subcontractors from all liability should you get yourself into trouble, harm yourself or others.
9. Roster: Marking yourself as 'going' is only the first step. You must meet all the criteria above to be invited to join the roster. The group size is limited to eight vehicles. If you have read this far and are still interested in joining us, introduce yourself and let's chat.
Reserve a Spot!
Contact OTG to find out more.